Thursday, December 29, 2011

Writing the new Benevolent album


Inspirations, visions, goals, and game plan

So I’ve been working on the follow up to Benevolent’s Divided EP roughly since November 2010 straight after the release of the album, the feedback we got from the album was so inspiring I’ve been jotting down ideas for the new record ever since then and now even a year’s later worth of roughly writing ideas down in the form of demo recordings, guitar tabs, and phone memo audio recording I still find myself hungry to write MORE and explore even further grounds that would push the limits of what can be achieved, or rather, delivered in the form of expression to the listening masses of the new album.

Late ’09, the entire of ’10, and the entire of ’11 has been a very big year for us. From writing the album, shaping up the sound and working diligently with Sarj (Sarj’s studio), to tracking it, releasing it, getting the feedback, the exposure and international attention, signing with Spellbind Records, and hitting up the stage in Dubai alongside experience bands from across the globe…it’s been insanely beautiful!

When the EP’s reviews came together, alongside all the joy and hype I had an influx of worry; what state of mind was in writing Divided EP? Would I be in a similar state of mind going into the second album? And after getting into a state of constant anxiousness on what/how the new record with come about and what it would sound like I just realized to myself that it’s going to be what it’s going to be. Simplicity taking over the complexion, the record is going to have to be an honest expression as to what the time it was written through is driving me to express; letting the songs write themselves, letting the lyrics tell the story…I become the instrument to my inspiration and hunger for expression, rather than take my instrument and forcefully produce tunes on an assumption that a demanding crowd has this to expect.

I will be updating posts with more notes in the time leading up to the band’s second release, giving very little detail as to not spoil the fun of experiencing the album for the very first listen…but keeping you all intact on what’s going on out here as the writing, living, and expressing process unveils new phrases.

Catch you rockers soon!

Hadi Sarieddine

No comments:

Post a Comment