Friday, June 15, 2012

Writing a Song in Memory of David Gold

Hey guys,

So I've been working on the tribute song for my good buddy, the late, David Gold (Woods of Ypres). I am pretty sure this post is going to be a bit of a dull read but I feel the need to write this since this page has become a point of ventilation for all sorts of stuff that come to mind in the musical spectrum, and though David was a friend and not a band mate or someone that I worked musically with, he was and remains to be an inspiration, and his music has been influencing my work on the Benevolent album.

When writing this song, the part that mostly gives me some aching is that David's not around to hear this piece or the rest of the Benevolent album. We often spoke about this and I kept updating him on our work even while he was on tour with Woods.

Every time I listen to the progress on the song so far, I just ask myself "What would David think of this piece?" and I suppose this has led to a Woods of Ypres feel to the song.

But, what is the image that the song should depict?

I believe that words cannot be said to pay tribute to a good friend, but music can get me closer to translating all this stuff.

I do hope that the song reverberates and shines as a melody that attempts to represent the feelings behind the loss of a great friend.

Rest in Peace, brother!

Hadi

No comments:

Post a Comment